Leishmania braziliensis is probably the worst of the infections caused by the Leishmania species. It causes painful disfigurement of the face and nasal cavity.
1. Promastigote forms in the Phlebotomus fly
2. Fly bites a human and injects parasite into the skin
3. The parasite invades the recticuloendothelial cells
4. The amastigote reporduces asexually in the human cells and invades other lymphoid tissue (diagnostic stage)
5. When another Phlebotomus fly bits the human it injests the amastigote parasite
6. The amastigote transforms into the promastigote and reproduces int he midgut
7. The parasite then migrates to the probuscis where it is now ready to infect another human
This is not a self-limiting disease and causes severe disfigurement to a persons face and nasal cavity. It is very painful and will progress until the person dies.